November 25, 2009

Family Traveling

Well, time to travel again for a holiday. We are a family who is spread out all over the place so staying put for the holidays almost never happens. That's fine, I guess, but does this sound familiar? Wake up super early, gulp down coffee, hop in the shower. Of course it's a bad hair morning and the makeup just isn't going on like it should. And let's not forget that zit that hasn't shown its face in many months and decides to make its appearance just in time to see the in-laws. Next, holler at the kids to get out of bed or we will not get on the road on time. This is strange for kids who, just the night before, were bouncing around and talking nonstop out of excitement for this moment to get here. Now, nothing. No movement. No nonstop talking. Ugh!

Finally we all get into the vehicle and run a final verbal checklist before we throw it in reverse. All lights off? Check. Thermostat turned down? Check. Toothbrushes packed? Check. Did you (the kids) brush your teeth? No. Well, too late now. You can brush them at the hotel when we get there. Let's just go!

Things go pretty smoothly for the first part of the trip. The kids might even fall asleep which is a parent's road trip dream come true. Halfway there, you stop for lunch, potty break, and stretching. Get back in the car and life is still pretty good. Maybe some more dozing off. Some good tunage on the radio. Mmmm...

Yeah. Then the games begin. Fighting from the backseat.

"Get your feet off my side of the backseat, you tard!"
"Do you have to chew your gum like that? God! You're so annoying!"
"No, you're annoying. You keep singing with your ipod."
"Shutup!"
"No, you shut up!"
"You better watch it or I'll beat the crap out of you!"

This is where my husband just sees my ass as I lean over the seat.

"Hey! That's enough! Come on, you two. We're almost there. Stay on your side of the car. What? I don't care if your legs are cramped, you are putting your feet in your brother's face! What did I just say? Just quit talking if you can't be nice to each other. I've about had it. ENOUGH! Are you talking back to me?"

The ebb and flow of sibling rivalry continues as we zoom down the interstate at 75 miles an hour. Eventually I have to stop leaning over the seat because I've become car sick from facing backwards so many times. They're not listening anyways. I block them out until they tire out.

Finally we are there! The hotel is in sight. Soon, the kids will be running around with their cousins and the grown ups will be drinking a couple beers and catching up. The next few days will consist of several family gatherings and lots of laughs and, suddenly, you realize that this is why you put up with the traveling and it's all worth it.

Until the ride home!

No comments:

Post a Comment