August 15, 2014

Beach Bum

For the first time in nine years, I have taken vacation in August.  Like the middle of August.  It's so foreign to me.  In my previous job, we weren't allowed to take time off from mid-July through Labor Day because we were so busy.  I learned to just deal with it but in the back of my mind I always hated it.  It always felt like work stress kept me from enjoying half of my summer.  Our summer season up north is so short to begin with.

So when I started my new job, all I could think about was how different my summers were going to be.  I made sure to ask for time off both in July and August.  It has been wonderful.  Today, I went down to the beach at 10:30 in the morning...on a work day...in the middle of August.  So great!  I was alone, the water was calm, the sun was bright.  I had my favorite chair and a new book to read and I was in absolute heaven.



I am a beach bum.  Always have been.  I love sitting with my feet in the sand and reading.  And it's almost spiritual, the feeling of getting warmed up in the sun and then dunking in the ice cold water of the lake.  It recharges me.  It takes away stress and makes me feel like everything's going to be okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment