September 9, 2012

Junk in the Trunk

I'm reading the book, "Eat Pray Love".  I didn't realize it was based on the author's own experience.  So far, I'm in love with it.  I relate to her struggle in some ways and I'm inspired by her decision to make this journey she writes about in order to heal herself.  I know it sounds corny but I've really been struggling lately and I feel like I was meant to read this book right now.

I have a lot of junk in my trunk (and I don't mean my ass here) that I need to sort through.  I need to be a better me and I need to get proactive about it.

Some of my favorites so far in this book...

"Americans have an inability to relax into sheer pleasure.  Ours is an entertainment-seeking nation, but not necessarily a pleasure-seeking one.  Americans spend billions to keep themselves amused with everything from porn to theme parks to wars, but that's not exactly the same thing as quiet enjoyment.   Americans work harder and longer and more stressful hours than anyone in the world today."

"Americans don't really know how to do nothing."

"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection."    (I absolutely LOVE this one, by the way)                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment